+ Transaction Processing…
Smalltalk is pure object-oriented programming for complex business and technical applications, but the benefits of this can be lost in the well-known ‘impedance mismatch’ with relational databases.
The VOSS open source virtual object storage system extends Smalltalk with integrated database management, providing transparent multi-user access and transaction processing of persistent, versioned, Smalltalk objects directly accessible by normal programming, with efficient persistent Btree collection classes, including the multi-key/multi-value/key-set VirtualDictionarySet for aggregation and query-building.
- Multi-process, multi-machine transactional access to distributed objects
- ACID transactions with two-phase commit, logging and rollforward crash recovery
- Persist clustered complexes of any Smalltalk classes except block closures
- Historical object versioning, MVRC repeatable read, MVCC concurrency control
- Automatic object locking with transaction rollback & retry on deadlock time-out
- Automatic change detection, no lock conflicts with sub-transactions, short read-locks
- Multi-key/multi-value/key-set Btree VirtualDictionarySet with query-building methods
- Continuation Transactions manage alternative futures for design or what-if
- Long Continuation Transactions may be persisted prior to ultimate commit/rollback
- Web server / application process rendezvous
- Distributed copying, parented copying, identity-exchange, checkout, read-only etc
- 24×7 operation, with concurrent variable-rate incremental foreground & background garbage collection and snapshot backup of the set of distributed virtual spaces.
- Up to 150 logged & flushed transactions per second on 3GHz P4 IDE hardware
- Terabyte 64-bit object id and addressing default, configurable up to 128-bit
- Dual Licensing - Open Source GPLv3 and/or Supported Commercial Licence
(C) Logic Arts Ltd 2013